Friday, July 12, 2013

West Virginia, a poem

I recently visited West Virginia and eventually I will post a blog about the trip. However, I'm feeling extremely lazy right now so that will have to wait.

In the meantime, I will post this poem I wrote while in West Virginia. Please note that poetry is not something I'm good at, do often, nor really enjoy. I was just in a rhyming mood, that's all. It's not that great but I still want to share it with whoever wants to read it.

All right!



From New Mexico, born and raised
To move elsewhere you must be crazed!
Why else would you move worlds away
Where there's no green chili and it rains all day?
West Virginia, green and lush
When it rains the rivers rush
Biscuit World in Charlie West
Dairy Winkle is the best
Churches poaching without shame
For more denominations you can name.
Walleyes nibbling Emmy's feet
Bugs just love the humid heat
David fishing with borrowed poles
The land is full of half-mined coal
Lightning bugs sparkle in the dark
Feed the ducks at Daniel Boone Park.
Border Collies race up the holler
Get beer and hotdogs for a dollar!
The buildings are old, but the land is older.
It holds the bones of Civil War soldiers
Musicians stomp their feet and saw their fiddles
People have few teeth but large middles!
Smokey the bear says "Fire Danger is low"
There are clever license plates everywhere you go.
Cheer and throw toast for West Virginia Power
Go white water rafting for hours and hours!
All too soon, it's time to go
back to dry, fire-prone New Mexico.
I'll miss my mom, Leo and the big rivers state-wide
But I'll also miss the strong West Virginia pride!


By the way, if you're planning on flying through the Houston Airport, please look for my wallet?

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment