Thursday, April 9, 2015

Sarah Record; Servant of the Law

So... a few weeks ago, I got a dreaded letter... JURY DUTY!! Today was my orientation, and first trial. The following is an actual email I sent my mom and sister. My mom liked it enough, I figured I'd share it with you all! I did edit a few things and cut out some names, but otherwise, it's the real deal!

The "Greenhouse" business I mention is something I wrote on my jury form- in just over a week ACE's greenhouse will be opening and we're gonna be swamped! Not the best time for me to be caught up in court cases. Summer is always busy anyway, plus, this year we're buying from new growers and we're missing some of the staff we've always had. I explained it on my form and asked to be excused... nothing happened. I just hope the court won't be too busy and I won't be picked again.

What can I say? I'm a worrier...

____________________________________________



So! Today was my very first day of Jury Duty! And it was more than I bargained for!


Following my instructions, I was not late! I arrived at about 7:45 am. I set 4 alarms to make sure. I was not about to be arrested for contempt! We all gathered around the front door of the municipal court. I would say there were about 30 of us. At 8:00 promptly, we were let inside, to wait in the lobby. After 10 minutes or so, Judge Walton let us into the courtroom where they showed an educational film! Kind of a brief explanation on our duties, and the history of juries! I must say, getting to see how juries were in the 16th century made the modern day kind look not so bad. At least we were not demanding the accused to pluck stones out of boiling kettles of water.

After the educational film, we were herded back into the lobby while we waited for the attorneys to show up. You see, we were not aware,  but there was an actual trial today! Several of the older men selected for jury duty were not at all pleased at the time we had to wait! Finally, the lawyers showed- both were from out of town. Ms. H and Mr. L! Ms. H, the state's representative, was a nice woman in her thirties who was wearing a business-suit/skirt outfit that was reaaaaaaaaallllly short. I just noticed it was quite revealing. Every time she had to approach the bench she had a nervous habit of smoothing down her skirt, and she drank water constantly. Mr. L was, I'd say, also in his thirties. He was smart and charismatic, just like I imagine lawyers to be. His hair was brown and thick and  kind of reminded me of that Dr. Hardy I had all those years ago- the one with the crazy hair? Just like insanely voluminous and wavy. 

Anyway, they read out our names in a random, pre-selected order and had us file back into the courtroom in that order, so they could tell from their lists who was who. They then began to examine and question us- first were the questions like, "Who knows the lawyers? Who knows the accused? Is anyone biased? Has anyone been convicted or affected by drunk driving?"

Then they began to single us out and ask more personal questions, because the attorneys were trying to pick out idea jury candidates for today's case. This was where my trouble began!

As soon as Mr. L stood to begin questioning, I heard my name first! "Ms. Record," he addressed me, "You have written on your jury questionnaire that you have a conflict with jury duty. Can you expand on that?" Well, that was easy enough- I ran through my Greenhouse defense. But it made me nervous as hell! To be singled out! My pulse began racing and I could feel blood rushing to my face.

Anyway, Mr. L seemed to like confrontation. He jumped on people here and there, demanding their opinions, then jumping on their answers. It was sooooooooo uncomfortable. I was nervous anyway! Jeez, I was nervous a week ago! But it just got worse. Finally, he jumped on me again and I was so startled and worried that I made a grave error- I told the truth. 

They were going on and on about how important it is to be impartial- especially because Mr. L was the defense lawyer- his client was charged with DWI. And I totally understand! We are there to give a fair trial and to not be biased. But I made the mistake of admitting to him that, you know what? Yes. When I go into a courtroom, I might already be leaning one way or the other. I might already be thinking, "Hey, this guy was arrested. He might be guilty!" Anyway, BIG MISTAKE! It was like he was a shark and my butt was chum. 

Within seconds, I was a bumbling, hysteric fool. Panicked and cursing myself for speaking up. He went on and on about how, like everyone knows, the accused is INNOCENT until proven guilty! I know this. I was just honest. 

I was not the only one he singled out, though. Another woman was there, and she was so talkative Mr. L finally told her firmly, "That's all, ma'am, I don't need to hear anymore!" And one old guy fell asleep against the wall and had to be shaken awake. 

Looking back, it was not as bad as I felt it was at the time! But as soon as we were released back into the lobby so the lawyers could pick the jury, I texted Emmy hysteric S.O.S. texts about how hellish it all was. All the jury candidates were talkative and one of the opinionated old guys went around and gave his bet on who would be picked for that day's jury. We all were pretty sure I'd be the last person they chose, since I voiced my opinion about the accused possibly being guilty.

Imagine all of our surprise when MY NAME was the third name they called for today's trial! So, after they read the seven names (6 on a jury and one alternate) the rest of them were allowed to leave, and the jury went right back into the courtroom!

I must say, I learned a whole lot about the judicial system today! As I said, it was a DWI case and our job as jurors was to determine if he was guilty in ALL PROBABLE CAUSE. We found him innocent! Two cops gave their testimony, and the accused had a private investigator as defense, and a series of events made it so that we all figured he very well MIGHT have been guilty, but not at all probable cause. They never released the breathalizer reading, the cops who pulled him over, failed to have his tests (heel to toe in a straight line, field sobriety test stuff) on camera. The officers never reported smelling or seeing alcohol, he was not visibly drunk or belligerent, and the only reason he was pulled over was because the had hit the curb, then over-corrected and went into the other lane. I was pretty sure I would think he was guilty, but we found otherwise!

We were offered the choice of breaking for lunch, but we decided to go through the whole thing and go home. So I was there from 7:45 am to about 2:45 pm. Allegedly, we will be paid for our time and service! Poor Otis had to pee like crazy when I got home! Good thing I got her a cheeseburger. When I got out I went down to the store to tell dad all about it. He teased me about my panic... it's just my nature! Anyway, now I have to call the number every Friday night to see if there are any cases coming up.

What I have to show from my jury duty? An empty water bottle.... and 6 more months of service!


Love you!

Sa

P.S. Sorry for the freaked out texts, Emmy :P

No comments:

Post a Comment