Thursday, June 16, 2016

The Dad Dictionary

Fathers Day is this Sunday! And for this Wordsday Thursday I thought I'd write out a short list of words, phrases, and things that come from or remind me of my Pop!




__________________________________________

"BUNK"- A slightly more polite and dad-like way of saying "bullshit," as in, "Oh, bunk!" He likes to tell me that when I tell him a whopper of a lie, such as: "I went to bed at 10:30 last night."

CATS- I know to some people my dad might look big and tough, but he is, right down to his core, a kind, generous person. And he loves animals! Dogs too of course, but right now he has three cats: two greys, Betty and Bob (actually the store cat Lucky's children!) and one magnificent black and white creature named Bill. Betty is sweet and loves everybody, but the boys WORSHIP my dad. Bobby always sleeps with him, purring in his funny chirpy way. Bill "helps" my dad put his shoes on every morning, and my dad actually buys Bill a special kind of sliced turkey, just for him.

(Bonus! Bonus! Bonus!
Nicknames for Bob: Bobby, Bo-bo, Bob-oh, Bobbit, Bobbit the Hobbit, Robert, Roberto, Berto)

CONCERTS- Over the years, my dad has taken me, my sister, and several of my friends to many concerts, starting with the Backstreet Boys and, musical quality-wise, going nowhere but up! We saw (and met a couple) Children of Bodom, Lamb of God, Trivium, Megadeth, Bring Me the Horizon, Arch Enemy, Motley Crue! My sister and I got to go with him to see ZZ Top and BB King! And my dad is an avid people-watcher, and at several of these shows, he alone noticed band members walking through the crowds! We were just yards away from Jacoby Shaddix, and we MET DJ Ashba from Sixx:AM (in no small part due to my sister, because my friend and I were too chicken). Not to mention, we were thisclose to Chris Ammott, my friend and I leading his fan club! Craziness.

"CREEPS!"- Definitely one of his favorite expressions when something goes wrong or not according to plan, and I have picked up the habit. Movie theater doesn't have the movie we want to see? Creeps! The damn Stihl website isn't working? Creeps! They are out of Orange Creme yogurt?? CREEPS!!

DOGS- As I said before, he's an animal person, and ohhhhhhh does he love dogs. Just like me! He's got his Labrador, Mack, (We call her a Weimador due to her looking like a cross between a lab and a Weimeraner) and now he has my sister's dog, Pickles. Every single time I go up to his house, I take Otis up, too. And of course, he had Pedro all those years, and we still miss him. On Sundays, my dad goes down to where Petey (and Holly and Pebbles) are buried, and mows carefully.

GIBBS SLAP- When new episodes of NCIS air in the fall, winter, and spring, my Dad and I have a standing Tuesday night dinner to view the episodes together. Lately, my sister has taken to joining us too! If you are unfamiliar with the series, the GIBBS SLAP is, well, pretty self-explanatory. Gibbs, the guy in charge, has a habit of smacking his employees on the back of the head when they say or do something stupid. It's a practice my dad has adopted, along with a few other members of the Record family!



"IJJITS"- A version of "idiots." This is usually the term he uses to refer to a group of dogs!

LA DODGERS- Only his favorite baseball team in the world!!

STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN- I sometimes like to imagine what myself and my loved ones were in past lives. For example, I strongly suspect I was a criminal mastermind! It explains my paralyzing fear of police, and also my never-ceasing feelings of guilt. And I am CONVINCED that at some time, my dad was a musician- a rock and roll or blues guitar player. He absolutely loves music, and listens to it constantly. Some of my earliest memories are of us in the car, singing and jamming at the top of our lungs- my music, his music, any music!! I think it would be hard, if not impossible, for my dad to pick his favorite musician or band, but I know Stevie Ray would be right up at the top!



"TURD"- Yes, this can mean a specimen of fecal matter, but oddly, he often uses it as a term of endearment. He calls me "Turd" all the time! And I call him Turd, Senior.

"WELL..." This doesn't happen often, but every time it does, he gets me good! We will be hanging out together and I'll think of something important to say. I take a deep breath and start, "Well..." and before I can continue, he will look at me, dead serious, and say, "That's a deep subject." And then will slap his knee and cackle madly.

7 AND 7- His mixed drink of choice! Well, one of them anyway. He's not a huge drinker, but every time I see him pull out the Seagram's and a can of 7-Up, I get super excited and squawk, "SEVEN AND SEVEN!!" He has been gradually and patiently tutoring me on the art of mixing alcohol. He even gave me his bottle of Jose Cuervo Silver and his jug of Margarita mix, just out of the kindness of his heart! He's pretty cool like that.






I LOVE YOU POP!! Happy Father's Day!

Love, Sa

No comments:

Post a Comment