Thursday, February 26, 2015

SPOILER ALERT

 As the title of this blog suggested, this blog contains serious spoilers! Reader discretion advised!

If you are my friend on Facebook, you are probably aware that I spent all of last night watching Season 4 of Game of Thrones. I FINALLY got it in the mail yesterday and since today was my day off, there was nothing stopping me from binge-watching! It took me right about 12 hours, including breaks. When I watch Game of Thrones by myself I tend to send my sister text after text, even if it's long after she's gone to bed. I just feel the need to document my shock! These are last night's "WTF" texts:

"Ahhh! It appears it was Margaery's grandma who poisoned Joffrey!"
1:30 am

"WHAT! Lord Petyr Baelish is responsible for the war! He made Lysa poison Jon Arryn!! This is nuts."
2:34 am

"Shae is testifying against Tyrion! She said he and Sansa are guilty of murdering Joffrey! Evil lady!!"
3:50 am

"TYRION JUST DEMANDED TRIAL BY COMBAT"
3:55 am

"WHAT is this madness????"
3:55 am

"Well maybe Petyr killed Joff too! So complicated!"
4:46 am

"Aaaaaaaaaaaand Petyr just kissed Sansa while Lysa, his new bride, watched!!!"
4:48 am

"...then pushed Lysa to her death"
4:52 am

"Daaaaaaaaang! All of a sudden Sansa has turned interesting"
5:18 am

"I just had to pause it and say "What what what what what what what what" as I stomped around my living room"
6:04 am

"Dang it they just killed off Jojen!!"
7:21 am

"EVERYBODY'S DYING!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!"
7:45 am

"I almost wish I had work today so I could talk serious GOT talk with the rest of the fan club at work!!!"
7:49 am

"Lol I'm besides myself with excitement but I'm like really tired at the same time... kinda loopy"
8:30 am
_______________________________________________________

I finally went to bed about 9:00 this morning. Staying up all night provided me with the opportunity of seeing the sun rise- something I don't see very often. There's something kind of cool about seeing the sun rise... and set! It's kind of marking the halfway point of the day.. a time in between. It doesn't last very long, and somehow each time is different.

I gave it a little thought and I think the last time I stayed up all night (without being sick!) was when I read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It's actually a good time of day to get lost in a story... there isn't much as quiet and peaceful as the dead of night! The whole world asleep, the only noise is the quiet whisper of pages being turned. I remember sitting cross-legged on my bed, heavy book in my lap, neck aching from being curved over the book for hours and hours. Every so often I'd dry and switch positions- maybe lie on my stomach for a while, or prop my head on my hands. It was uncomfortable, but I had to finish! Like this morning, after finishing, I tried to relax and go to sleep but my mind was so focused on the story I had been living in for hours and hours that it was hard to drift off.

I've always been that way with books and movies that I love- I think a lot of people are that way. That's why these famous stories are so popular- the people who created them made it possible to slip into the pages or through the screen. They make the characters so real that you feel like you know them- and the characters' joys and sorrows become your own. When you finish the story, you miss them.

I also love how every author's writing voice is unique. The words they use and how they spin their tales give them their own flavor. Sometimes I crave a book's words like I do certain foods. I can think about a book for a few days, remembering some of the words and feelings, but there's nothing as satisfying as cracking the book open and tasting the words and emotions. Some books taste sad, some taste joyful. Sometimes the words leave me energized, and sometimes they make me tired. Good books leave you feeling satisfied, but the best books leave you hungry for more!

I hope I can write books like that someday.

VALAR MORGHULIS!!!

hahaa

Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment