Thursday, June 18, 2015

Description! (And Throwback Thursday!)


Today, along with being Wordsday Thursday, was my day off! If you had wondered, that's why I chose Thursday as Blog-day. Anyway, today I went up to Pueblo for an appointment and as I was driving, I was mentally sorting through new blog ideas. Suddenly, I was (almost literally) struck by an idea! As I was traveling up I-25, a long stretch of road surrounded by rocky mountains and overgrown fields as far as the eye can see, I drove into a thunderstorm with blue-black clouds and glittering bursts of lightening. I was suddenly amazed by the beauty of it all! I didn't have a camera, except a crappy phone one, but even if I did I could have shot pictures all afternoon and never caught the real beauty of it. In a way, I think words can be even more powerful than photographs because pictures only capture a version of what's in front of the camera, while words can draw up all sorts of images and feelings, including things that don't actually exist. Photographs can captivate you and inspire wonder, but words can creep into your mind and take control. Words can grow your mind and make you stronger!

Anyway, for today's Wordsday Thursday I thought I'd just describe things to you! I realize most of the people who read this blog regularly know me at least a little, and I do talk about myself a lot. But usually I write about my thoughts and struggles and point of view. I rarely describe my physical world!



BUT FIRST!
Below is an actual journal entry I wrote over three years ago. Be kind! At the time I had no intention of other people reading it. I think my OCD was showing itself in the fact that I insisted on documenting exactly when I began and stopped writing the entry.

What a treat for you! Enjoy. :P


Description!
Saturday, February 11th, 2012
10:17pm- 11:20pm

For some reason, I am in a descriptive mood tonight, so I will be descriptive. Because I can.

I sit on my bed next to my favorite living creature in the world, a dog with brown and tan fur and an attitude like a strong bottle of alcohol- very strong and sort of an acquired taste, but if intoxicated with her presence long enough, she lifts your spirits and, if you‘re like me, you become addicted to her. But there is no Otis rehab and I wouldn’t join if there was.
She holds her favorite blue stuffed lobster, Chester, between her front paws and licks him affectionately. There is a game I like to play with Otis and Chessie. As Otie lounges on my bed, I snatch Chess out of her grip and make him inch slowly toward her. Otis becomes extremely still and tense. Even her eyes freeze in place, but don’t let this deceive you. She is hyper aware of Chess and my actions and as soon as I move Chessie close enough, Otis growls and twitches a bit. Then I make Chess squeak by squeezing his damp body and the game is over. Otis snatches him out of my hand and continues to lick his blue fur.
My room is mostly dark; I have only one lamp lit, the one close to my bed, the one I read by. It is not very strong, but casts shadows across the room, a cluttered space that, no matter how clean I get it, still looks full and slightly messy. The walls are almost completely covered with posters of bands and films and one poster of Justin Bieber that has been used as target practice. There is also a full sized pirate flag with the skull and crossbones draped on the wall by my headboard.
The room is filled to bursting with books and magazines. No matter how hard I try to keep them on their shelves, there are always one of two that manage to escape the shelves and find a home on the floor.
One shelf in my room is completely covered with perfume bottles, another with DVDs. In the corner of my room sits my blue Ibanez bass guitar, a little dusty from disuse, but is unfailingly familiar to my hands and fingers, no matter how long I go without playing it. Next to my bass stands my mummy, very tall and useful as a place to hang unwanted jewelry and other accessories. She wears a very old Trivium shirt, a joker mask, and 3D glasses lifted from a movie theater.
Heavy dark blue curtains hang in front of my windows. They do a very good job of blocking out the early morning sun. Around the curtains are draped old Christmas lights. They are rarely plugged in, but when they are, they are beautiful and bright. At night looking at the front of the house, if the lights are plugged in, they cast a blue glow around my window.
I am sitting on my bed in fuzzy pajama pants with polar bears on them and an old “Billabong” shirt that belonged once to my dad. I took a bath earlier and even though I did not completely wet my hair, the strands that mere hours ago were shiny and straight now curl in many small tendrils.
My face, though no longer completely covered in acne is scarred horribly from past breakouts. I’m wearing my new glasses that are slightly stronger than my last ones. At the place on the frames where the ear pieces connect with the front, there is an elegant design, almost Elvish in appearance.
I need to cut my nails soon- they are getting long and ready to break. I also need to repaint my nails- only tiny traces of polish remain on them.
Looking at my hands, I see my fat stubby fingers punctuated with many rings- rings of silver, rings of gold. I remember and value every single ring because they each have their own story- my thumb ring I bought from an Italian vendor in the city of Pompeii. On my left ring finger, I have a plain, silver band that matches rings that my sister and dad have and below it, my Granny’s graduation ring. It is a gold band with black onyx stone with her school’s name and graduation year. On the inside of the gold band, it is engraved, “NLR- 1951”. On the middle ringer of my right hand, I have an old Coast to Coast my grandmother LaVonne gave me. Finally on the ring finger of my right hand, I have a thin silver band with a small spiral on top.
I also regularly wear two necklaces. One I got last Christmas and is a very plain silver chain with a metal dog print charm. I also wear a necklace I got years ago in Ireland- a silver charm with a Celtic pattern.
In my ears, I regularly wear only a small metal stud in the top hole of each ear, and a very large safety pin in my left ear.
My hair, aside from being in gentle waves is also several colors. The hair on the left side of my face is red faded into pink, with a dark brown on the other side.
Tomorrow is Sunday. Ironically, it is my Dad’s one day a week off, but he tends to work even harder on Sundays, getting all sorts of chores done around the house. I’m afraid I’m not a very good house-mate. I really don’t pull my weight work wise. I sleep til noon every Sunday, stumble downstairs half asleep and allow my dad to cook me lunch. More often than not, I take a nap soon afterwards.
The weather today was cold and misty and icy. I love weather like this! However, I must say, I’m glad it’s doing this weather today- Monday I have to drive over the pass to school and I’m not an extremely confidant driver anyway, but then add bad weather? No thank you!
The bath I took earlier was very nice. I sat beside the tub as I let it fill with very hot water. When it was filled, but gingerly stepped in the water- the water almost burned my feet! But I slowly lowered myself into the tub and soon, whether it actually cooled or I just got used to it, it was really very pleasant.
Aight! I’ve got the description out of my system! Thanks for your patience.
_____________________________________________________________________

Woo-hoo! Throwback Thursday! Haha

Like I said, today's drive was beautiful! It was stormy and colorful. This year we have gotten much more rain and everything is green and flourishing. A quiet wind made the tall grass along the highway bend and sway and broke the surface of deep puddles in the asphalt. Lightning cracked through the clouds and the thunder rumbled underneath the bass of the music I was listening to in the car. I had the air conditioning on high and it played with my hair until I tied it back in a hasty ponytail.

When the rain started, it came down hard, pelting the windshield with vigor. I could see the big, fat raindrops hitting the road and bouncing. The black asphalt turned into a silvery, reflective surface that looked to be of half-rain, half-sky. The rain was so heavy that the road was covered with water, and I slowed down. In my peripheral vision I saw the weeds in the road-side pastures whipping around wildly, what seemed to be an ecstatic celebration of rain and life.

I passed a lot of construction- lots of bright orange traffic cones and tired looking people wiping the summer sweat from their brows. They all wore construction hats and bright vests and some help up hefty "SLOW" signs. They looked jaded and didn't seem to mind the dangerously massive trucks that screeched by them.

After my appointment I went to Barnes and Nobles. I just have to step inside the double-doors and I'm in a book-filled heaven. I'm not a coffee drinker but the scent of new books and ground, sweet coffee beans is intoxicating. It's always pleasantly, perfectly warm. It has the hushed calm of a library, but feels more relaxed. I could spend hours there among the shelves. Books about anything and everything, little miniature portals that take you to any world you can imagine. I like to think that someday others will tarry at the little cafe tables, thumbing through my books!

I'm sorry this blog got so long! I love doing description, and it's a good writing exercise! Thanks for bearing with me! :)

Sarah

P.S. Words may be better than photos, but I still love photography to death!!

No comments:

Post a Comment