Wednesday, May 10, 2017

As If I Needed Another Hobby

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! Some of the following pictures and videos might make some people a bit queasy! It's all fake and for fun, but it is realistic!


I love YouTube. I love YouTube so much. You can watch cat videos and band-interviews and news reports and supernatural occurrences and god-awful music videos and my new favorite...

SPECIAL EFFECTS MAKEUP HOW-TO VIDEOS

I will say, I have always loved watching makeup tutorial videos (the normal kind) even though I rarely wear much makeup...you see, when it comes to me getting up early and getting pretty vs. going back to bed, really it's not much of a choice for me. But! Semi-recently, I came across a NEW kind of makeup tutorial... the special effects kind!

What I mean by Special Effects (SFX) makeup is using makeup products to make fake bruises and cuts and burns and applying prosthetics. THERE IS A WHOLE WORLD OUT THERE!! And I find it absolutely fascinating. Not the gory part, just the crazy, creative art to it all.

To give a little example of the videos I have been watching, here is a very basic one from probably my favorite YouTube SFX makeup teacher, Mykie from Glam&Gore. As the name of her channel implies, she does tutorials on beauty makeup AND the gross, gory stuff. She's pretty awesome and talented.




Seriously, she is amazing. I could watch (HAVE WATCHED) her videos all day.

Anyway, after watching and watching and watching these videos, I finally couldn't TAKE IT any longer! I had to try it myself.

So I went online and got some very basic SFX stuff: liquid latex, rigid collodion, scar wax, etc. and got some basic supplies like sponges and cotton balls from KMart. That, in conjunction with basic makeup I already owned, gave me a great base to start with... and I have been playing non-stop! Every time I try a new look, I send my sister pics of it right away... and now, YOU get to see some! :) Don't judge me, I am a novice.

The first one I tried was the Joker's scars from "The Dark Knight", minus the clown makeup on top. I just used the rigid collodion, which tightens and puckers the skin, making the impression of a deep scar. It peels right off, but looks pretty amazing after a few coats!






Next, I tried a burn! I just used several coats of liquid latex and some blush and eyeshadows I own. And it was (if I do say so myself) quite believable! I hoodwinked my sister and several people on Facebook:


BUT! Yes, it was quite fake... the latex peels right off!


Then I did an extreme knuckle scrape, complete with wax knuckle protruding from the hand (GNARLY!!!)


THEN! A scar-wax facial laceration! Ignore the absurd facial expression


Finally! I got in a fight with a werewolf..


Hahahahaha!! By far, the worst one because of how the latex/cotton does not blend with my skin. But like I said, I'm a beginner! Latex and cotton is a SFX basic so I'll work on it.

However, now that I am immersed in this world, I want to dig deeper! I am saving up to buy some 3rd Degree silicon (which will make my wounds much more realistic!!) and alcohol-activated paint palettes to play with... believe me, you will be seeing lots more!

And feel free to chip in financially! Haha just kidding. Sort of. ;)

By the time Halloween rolls around I will be READY TO GO!!

And no, I'm not in it to become a professional makeup artist... if I get my way, you WILL see my books in bookstores. But having a stupid side hobby can't hurt anyone!


Thank you for humoring me!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment