Thursday, June 1, 2017

SLEEP STUDY



So, right about 15 months ago now, I was in the hospital in Albuquerque, having been flown there by helicopter because of various blood clots in my body, most dangerous probably being the clots in my lungs. I was on constant oxygen for months. Then, I started just using oxygen while I slept at night.

For a more detailed explanation click HERE!

Anyway, I've been trying to get rid of my oxygen FOR GOOD, but my Doc thought it best to do...

THE SLEEP STUDY!!
(insert ominous music here)

So the idea behind a sleep study is (get ready for it!) to sleep while they study you. I'll let that sink in.

Well, I can't tell you why exactly, but this TERRIFIED me. Maybe it's just my pouty inner child whining "No! No! No more hospitals! I won't do it!" but, at least, I was given a little reprieve, knowing that my appointment wasn't until July 2nd.

But then! Tuesday morning I was woken up by a phone call from the Sleep People saying there had been a cancellation and I was moved up to Wednesday evening. 8:30 pm.

PANIC. PANIC. PANIC. PANIC. PANIC. PANIC. PANIC. PANIC. PANIC.

Well, that pretty much messed me up all day Tuesday, even worse on Wednesday... just ask my dad, sister and coworkers.

Last time I saw my doctor and we discussed the Sleep Study, he prescribed me one sleeping pill to take with me. On the bottle was printed "MUST BE DRIVEN HOME BY SOMEONE ELSE" so my dad was drafted.

Wednesday afternoon, I put together a bag of necessities that the Sleep Lady had described over the phone: comfortable sleep wear, any pills I might need, basic toiletries, cat---


Wait! Scratch that last.

Anyway, following my orders, my dad drove me to the hospital just a bit before 8:30, entering through the emergency room. I saw some familiar faces, and that calmed me down a bit. I signed a bit of paper work and waited to be admitted. Turns out, there was another guy there for his own Sleep Study! We (and my dad) were ushered back into our own patient rooms and as soon as my pop found out when to pick me up (5:30 am!) he disappeared back home to watch the Dodgers.

My room was quite spacious! The Sleep Lady asked me when I normally went to bed. I struggled to sound responsible---while lying-- and finally just told her, "I'm a night owl... just about any time will work for me!" This worked out well because the other Sleep Study fellow's bedtime was around 9:30 or 10. So the Sleep Lady went to hook him up first!

Now, when I say "hook up", I mean it. Not oxygen and an I.V. I mean HOOKED UP! When it came to be my turn, the Sleep Lady had me sit in a chair while she affixed me to various wires. Two on my shoulders, two on my chest, two on each leg, and countless ones on my head, face, and neck.Some of the little wires went into my hair line, and I can still feel the sticky glue stuff. Sleep Lady told me the first guy was easy because he was bald. Then she strapped some velcro-strips around my rib cage, then across the top of my chest. Then that jumble of wires got all plugged into various devices.


The Sleep Lady was verrrrrrrrrry nice and friendly and we had some nice conversations! She asked me all about my hair and the necessary upkeep, and when I took my nighttime pills, she remarked, "Wow. I thought I took a lot of pills!" which led to a nice discussion about her bipolar ex-boyfriend.

No one on the phone told me to, but I had the good sense to bring a book with me! Technically, I had a television set that played crackly programs, but I just switched it off and reached for my book.

Even after taking my sleep pill, I struggled to fall asleep. I read for a while before turning off my lights and I lay there, thinking deep thoughts and counting the flashes from the smoke detector in the ceiling. There was a flash every three seconds, and every 32nd flash was longer than the others. I gently tossed and turned, trying not to come unhooked. I missed Otis lying next to me.

And then... it was 5:30! The Sleep Lady came and unhooked me and I packed up all my belongings. There was Dad, waiting for me in the ER waiting room. Once I got home, I passed back out and got a few more hours before work!

I see my doctor tomorrow and I'm sure I'll hear the results. I'm HOPING HOPING HOPING everything is hunky-dory and I can get rid of my oxygen tank... I'll let you know!

Happy Wordsday Thursday!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment