Thursday, June 8, 2017

Write or Wrong

As I write this, I have some breaded shrimp heating in the oven. I'm going to speed-blog so I can be finished with the blog and be able to dig in!

What's on my mind, tonight, is WRITING. Today was my day off and I spent a while working on one of my writing projects. I have 4 different book ideas that I kind of touch on here and there. Actually, that's how I am when I read, too. My sister can't understand it! When I read, I switch from book to book, making a little progress on each, instead of reading and knocking out one book at a time. I think it's because different stories make you feel differently. Some feel best when you're sad, some just taste happy. And depending on my moods, I contribute to my different book ideas when I am in the best mind-set.



I am always hesitant to share a WHOLE lot about the details of plots of my writing projects... I'm not really sure why. I know it's very unlikely anyone would steal an idea! I think part of it is, I need to feel really good and confident about an idea before I share it.

But since we're all friends here, I will disclose this bit, because I think it's good for me to let go a little: of the two books I work on the most, one is about pirates, and one is about time travel.. so they couldn't be much more different! One is written in past tense, the other in present-tense. Although, they are both from the perspective of powerful women! I like stories where women kick ass. And, actually, both of my women characters have traits that are morally-ambiguous. I think it's usually funner writing about bad guys. And that is all I'm willing to disclose at this time, but it's kind of thrilling to tell you even that little bit of info.

I don't recall if I've mentioned it on this blog before, but there is an organization, "Mutual Rescue", that focuses on the true stories of people who rescue animals from shelters or bad environments, and how the animal ends up rescuing them just as much, if not more. Last year, I submitted Otis' and my story! They sent me an email stating that they could only choose four to make a video story about (and there were about 400 submissions) and though my story wasn't among the final four, it made it right to the end. So I have been emailing back and forth with a woman who works there, sharing a lot of details about our story. It seems they are writing and compiling some sort of book, and they intend to put Otie's and my story in a chapter about "grit and perseverance." Anyway, answering the questions they ask about me and Otis, I really give it my all! Otis deserves to be documented in the best, most vivid way possible. And the other day, I got an email back from the MR lady, with a thanks for my latest email, then at the end she put... "This is fantastic, Sarah. I love this insight into her -- and you're a good writer! Keep it up!"

It's a teeny, tiny little thing, but just hearing people tell me that, I feel like I'm on the right road, if that makes any sense at all. It makes me feel good.


There is a quote from the movie, "The Pagemaster," that I love very much:

"Even books have spines."

Firstly, I like it because it reminds me to be brave. But I especially love it because books feel alive to me, and when I write, my characters are as real as could be.

NOW! It's my dinner time!

Happy Wordsday Thursday, guys.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment